Re: [v3] use AM_ICONV

I haven't really been following the iconv discussion.  What is the
current status?  I get a failure when building a cross-compiler:

checking for iconv... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

The problem is simply that config/iconv.m4 tries to do link tests to
determine where it can pick up iconv (AM_ICONV calls AM_ICONV_LINK
calls AC_TRY_LINK).  The libstdc++-v3 configury isn't permitted to do
link tests when building a cross-compiler.

Yeah.

This was the original reason for the non-standard iconv routines as part of the libstdc++ configury.

However, that was a mess. I tried to simplify libstdc++ configury and use AM_ICONV, and clean up the libstdc++ parts, but this work is incomplete and lacking in goodness.

What is needed is a way to pass down toplevel LIBICONV flags, and if they are not present, disable the libstdc++ testing that needs libiconv.

You'll notice that libjava is also using AM_ICONV for crosses. Apparently iconv is not being used in the fortran runtime.

You might want to read this thread...

I see some iconv related patches, but they don't seem to address this
issue.  Probably I've missed it somewhere.  Is there a fix in train
for this?

I am not working on this ATM. To be honest, I'm sorry I ever tried to fix the solaris cross issue, a thankless task, although I'm glad I caught the two year old testsuite damage for native targets and fixed it.

-benjamin