Re: ERROR Undefined symbol basic_ostream

mavin wrote:

u mean gcc 4.0.0 is *very* old version???

That definitely, moreover, in very general terms, the *.0 release is always affected by some rather serious bugs.

I am sorry but how do i see binutils version?? and where do I get the latest
binutils?

I am on AIX5.3 box.

Ah, ok, then probably you are not using the GNU binutils tools at all. Have a look to the platform-specific installation notes here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#x-ibm-aix

or try to ask on gcc-help. I'm afraid we can't help more on this list (which actually is about libstdc++ development, not general help, or bug reporting). The only thing I cann tell you for sure is that up to date ibm-aix systems, running up to date gcc don't show the problem, otherwise gcc would be unusable.