Re: ERROR Undefined symbol basic_ostream

mavin wrote:

gcc version 4.0.0

Ick, you are talking about a *very* old release. If I remember correctly, the issue you are reporting was reproducable at some point but happened only together with specific binutils releases, then was certainly fixed in later releases (of course, the system would be totally unusable otherwise). I would suggest installing an up to date set of tools, including gcc 4.1.x and binutils 2.17.x.