Re: notes on current atomics config and usage

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

Here. This is much less radical, and should preserve existing behavior
and performance for default-configured x86 machines.

Great. If I understand correctly this is a good compromise

It does allow for CXXFLAGS="-march=native" to D.T.R.T., as discussed earlier today.

I particularly like the idea that if one makes sure to have CXXFLAGS set when configure is run, then the atomic builtins are automatically picked by the configure test. This is a nice advantage (unrelated to making maintainance easier) wrt the hardcoded approach in place before. Makes perfect sense, indeed, and is already used outside libstdc++.