Re: libtool insistence upon -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions in libsupc++?

On May 2, 2006, at 6:57 AM, Dan Kegel wrote:

On 5/2/06, Ned Konz <ned@bike-nomad.com> wrote:
I'm attempting to build libstdc++ for the Atmel AVR family, which is
an 8-bit microcontroller.
This is in a freestanding environment that's got somewhat limited
memory space
(the biggest part has 4K of RAM, and the smallest supported by gcc
has 64 bytes of RAM).

I just about spit my coffee when I read that. Will libstdc++ really fitl on such a small target? I bet it burps 4K of overhead before breakfast...

We'll see.

My experience with C++, templates, and the AVR so far is that -- with carefully crafted templates and the optimizer always on -- I can produce code that's every bit as small as good C code for small apps.

For larger apps, I get the advantage of not having to suck in an entire library member at once (though I know there are ways to avoid linking in bits one doesn't need).

I haven't used libstdc++ yet, though, and I'm just getting back into C ++ after having been away for a while (the last time I used C++ heavily, the STL wasn't too well supported by the compiler I used). I worked for Alan Kay for a couple of years, and was of course using Smalltalk during that time.

I've been having some fun with template metaprogramming, partial specialization, and the resultant compile-time optimizations and frustrations that can come with these. I've also managed to come up with not-so-carefully-crafted templates that do things like duplicating their code identically because of slightly different template parameters.

But my guess is that the use of libstdc++ -- with some restraint and always looking at the generated assembly language code and/or map file -- would be appropriate for certain kinds of programs.

What's been your experience with the generated code?

--
Ned Konz
MetaMagix embedded consulting