Re: PATCH: LDFLAGS handling in V3

On Jan  1, 2006, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>> I was suggesting passing a transformed LDFLAGS to the subdirectory.
>> Probably based on grepping configure.in or configure.ac for
>> '^A[CM]_PROG_LIBTOOL'.

> If the consensus is that this is better, we can do that.   But, how do
> we know the subdirectory doesn't want the unmodified LDFLAGS for some
> other purpose?

Adding -Xcompiler to LDFLAGS is just wrong, since -Xcompiler is not a
valid link-time flag for the compiler driver.  That's why we came up
with LTLDFLAGS.  So, yes, I disagree with Daniel's suggestion, and
stand by my earlier suggestion.

> Or, do you want to just pass LTLDFLAGS to all
> subdirectories?

That would be fine, but only if we know subdirectories don't want to
tweak it, and want to stop them from doing so.  I don't think we want
to go that far.

>> Instead, it should be $(shell $(SHELL) .../script $(LDFLAGS))
>> so that $(SHELL) is used to run the shell script.

> OK, consider that change made.

Ok with the change, unless DanJ further objects to this approach.