Re: lazy facet instantiation

Howard Hinnant wrote:

> Has the locale implementation technique of "lazy facet instantiation"
> been kicked around?  I searched the archive but came up empty.  Imho
> this is a critical technique for reducing the code size triggered by
> casual use of C++ I/O.

[snip]

The idea sounds very cool, of course. However, at the moment I don't
fully understand where the *code size* (vs, application memory
footprint) reduction comes from, at least not from a quick glance to our
locale from that point of view... Are you willing to explain in little
more detail?

> My apologies in advance if I've simply misunderstood the current
> implementation.

Likewise ;)

Paolo.

P.S. Why in computer science "lazyness" is always a virtue and is never
in real life? ;)