Re: sso tradeoffs

On Nov 3, 2005, at 4:50 AM, Paolo Carlini wrote:

after some good hours of sleep, I'm ready for some, hopefully
meaningful, comments. Actually, I'm not 100% sure that it's the right
time for that: the philosophy of ext/vstring.h is that of giving the
users a wide choice of different trade-offs and then stabilize to a new
default standard implementation only just in time for the next ABI
version. That's why I encourage you to consider in any case this ext
string stuff your playground, and, if you want, improve also the
existing code (I'm going to do a bit of that, anyway).

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Paolo. Getting at least two brains (and hopefully a few more) thinking about these tradeoffs was exactly what I was hoping for. I'm not sure what time frame is going to work for me to submit an alternative sso, but it is on my to-do list. Perhaps with two alternative sso's that we can easily switch between, and/or tweak tuning parameters, we can get some of that real- world data you speak of.

Thanks for the swap tweak! 2x faster than a refcounted design on vector<string>::insert should give everyone a nice warm fuzzy! :-) After all, this really is one the places where a refcounted design was supposed to shine. Nice job!

-Howard