Re: [patch] std::string::operator[] extension in debug mode

Paolo Carlini wrote:

chris jefferson wrote:

Sorry for a possibly stupid question. but this seems to me to be the
main problem. Will the problems go away if we just have two
definitions of basic_string, like we have two definitions of other
containers for when we want debug mode?

I think it's well known that basic_string *cannot* be treated like the other containers: Doug pointed to an old message about that:

But, of course, if you can imagine a way to overcome those difficulties...

Nope, I just missed that bit. Thanks, now I understand the problem.