Re: gcc-4.0.0 for sparc-sun-solaris2.8: Almost all good!

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:24:11AM -0500, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> I haven't been following the Solaris build instructions for 4.0.0, but
> it seems as if binutils or ld/as requirements are pretty strict. There
> have been a lot of bugs about missing functions and link-time odditites.

Yes, patching binutils-2.15 as described in INSTALL/specific.html
(oops) does seem to fix my link-time issues with Solaris.  I won't ask
why this wasn't enough to warrant a binutils-2.15.1 :)

Thanks!

> > Other than that, everything seems to be working fine, including wide
> > character support after Benjamin's rewritten configury.
>
> That part is only in 4.1, actually. However, it's still nice that 4.0.0 works.

Heh :)  Ok, I'll do the same with that.  Is there a branch already, or
do I just use the mainline?

I've given on up (almost all) native Solaris builds; it just takes way
too much time on the boxes I have, but I can cross-compile all my
stuff (instead of the test suite) and at least give that level of
comfort, which admittedly is not as useful.  Hmmm, I wonder if the
testsuite can be tweaked so I can do the compile steps on one box and
ssh to a box with the same filesystem mounted for the run steps :)

Brad Spencer - spencer@infointeractive.com - "It's quite nice..."
Systems Architect | InfoInterActive Corp. | A Canadian AOL Company