Re: Fw: [patch] Make std::tr1::shared_ptr thread-safe.

Paolo Carlini wrote:

Alexander and Peter,

I'm trying to understand the basic implications of your interesting
analyses. Can you possibly point out some specific broken codepaths?
Much better, prepare, pragmatically, one or more C++ snippet using the
library that fails in a consistent way on a specific arch (!= IA32, of
course). Sooner or later, after all the deep analyses we have to start
*doing* something and that would be a nice starting point, in my
opinion: right now we are simply *totally* lacking feedback from the
users about the brokeness.

Thanks in advance,
Paolo.

As a user who reads the mailing list and has experience with multi-threaded applications,
my plea is for the first version of libstdc++'s tr1::shared_ptr to use a mutex. I can use a
mutex version with confidence in my multi-threaded applications. The discussions
I've seen on this list have eroded my confidence in a libstdc++ lock free implementation.

A mutex version should be as fast as the currently released boost::shared_ptr,
which sees widespread use. The mutex version won't be as fast as a lock free version,
and it will probably be slower then the upcoming lock free boost::shared_ptr.
But it stands a greater chance of working correctly.

Just my $.02.

Robert Zeh
http://home.earthlink.net/~rzeh