Re: One version number, &c, take two

> > I was thinking about divergent opinions about the tagging process,
> > not the actual date used.  Binutils already has an alternate
> > scheme with daily tagging.
>
> Could you expand a bit please?

Binutils uses bfd/version.h for everyone's datestamp.  Adding a second
datestamp file would make their situation worse, not better.

> > The toplevel config/* is currently manually sync'd between gcc and
> > binutils, it would be a mess if that blew up my scripts.
>
> It's just the one file, could you special-case it?

Not easily.  The script works by inclusion; currently I include
./config.  To exclude one file, I'd have to manually list (and
maintain the list of) every other file in ./config/*.

Could you commit to both repositories, so that the file stays in sync?

Of course, we could let the two toplevels diverge again, but I'm not
fixing it again.

> > I meant specific to the gcc repository, as compared to gdb or
> > binutils, not specific to the gcc program, as compared to
> > libstdc++ or libiberty.
>
> In my opinion, only files specific to the gcc program belong in the
> gcc subdirectory.

Yet, you're planning on putting something that's not globally used in
a global directory.  Too bad we don't have an in-between solution;
something that's common to all the gcc components but separate from
binutils and gdb.  The gcc subdirectory used to be that.