Re: [patch]: Removing duplicate functions, part 3 (and brief copyrightquestion)

Chris Jefferson wrote:

I doubt it: the __is_heap change is wrong, the arguments are swapped. Please add
testcases and be more careful.

OK, that was just stupid of me, ignore that patch. I'll be more serious and come back later in the week.

;) Sorry about my slighlty harsh reply, but really we should be carefult not introducing regressions: a set of consistent testcases seems a good method: you did a wonderful job 'til... yesterday ;) In the specific case at issue, I see that __is_heap is an extension, as such not exercised a lot elsewhere, still debug mode uses it and must be kept perfectly functional. No hurry, anyway.

On a different note, are there offical guidelines on copying code? I've been writing a (very small, very limited) preprocessor library so I can macroise <tuple>, after a week of fun I had managed to create all the functionality I needed except for an O(1) equality testing macro. I knew that boost had one, so I decided to go and have a look to see how they did it. However now I've seen the "trick", I can't think of any other real way of implementing it than basically exactly the same code line-for-line...

Sorry if this question sounds a little silly / paranoid, but in this modern age of copyright issues, and the fact the FSF takes their copyright seriously, I wanted to check I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Eh, this is a mine field, in general, but with boost things should be easy. Why don't you contact directly the author of that code, while waiting for feedbacks?!?