Re: [RFA] Algorithms vs operator* and operator==

chris wrote:

This seems to be the line we have trouble with, as it could lead to an expensive copy. I haven't fully tested it yet, but I wonder if this line would be better expressed as:
typeof(*__first) __value = *__first; (where I've only just found typeof).

I've done some benchmarks, and I'm reasonably convinced that this is both safe and the most efficent way of doing things. If *__first is a reference, we just store the reference and access it twice. If *__first is returned by value, then we only get it by value once and use it twice. Does this seem safe / sensible?

Hi Chris, today I noticed this thread:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-01/msg01640.html

Not nice...