Re: [fw@deneb.enyo.de: GraphViz is now free software]

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 02:31:27PM +0100, Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>
> >Now that graphviz is open source,
> >
> Hi Jonathan: sorry if this remark appears unnecessarily picky, but in
> the past months I read quite a few of Stallman's original articles ;) :
> are "open source", "free software", "CPL" and "GPL" equivalent and
> mutually compatible? I don't think so, frankly...

No, I agree completely, but according to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
the CPL _is_ a free software licence, even if it is GPL-incompatible.
The GCC website runs on Apache with mod_php, which is at least as
GPL-incompatible as the CPL, but I haven't noticed the website being
taken down as a result ;-)

If a GPL-compatible implementation of dot is what the SC wanted then I
guess their objection still stands, so I'll get back to my lunch.

jon