Re: Optimising std::find on x86 and PPC

Paolo Carlini wrote:

Besided what Gaby and Benjamin already replied, out of curiosity, what the loop
unroller is doing, right now?!? Nothing!?!

More explicitly, and in the "right" spirit for the library: let's suppose we remove completely any ad-hoc loop-unrolling by hand, can we trust the loop-unroller to do a decent work both on x86-linux and darwin-powerpc? This is something worth
investigating, IMHO... and in case the loop unroller does crazy things file immediately a PR.

Only one minor point on this.. in 4.0, we really either need our unrolled code, or a better loop optimiser unless we want to take a 40% speed hit on std::find... so if we remove it and they can't get the loop optimiser fixed, either the current version or (I'd perfer, but won't force) the new version I originally posted should go back in.

Chris