[v3] libstdc++/17627

tested x86/linux

This fixes the issue pointed out WRT debug mode and threads. Perhaps
there are other issues, but they should also be easy to fix.

The test case for this is complicated in that it includes ACE and
libstdc++ includes and constructs. I'm not familiar enough with ACE to
reduce it, and attempts to come up with something similar, but without
the ACE deps, failed. Thus, I punt for the time being.

Queued for 3.4.4.

-benjamin