Increasing vector multiplier on 64-bits systems

Hi!

I apologise if this turns out to be a stupid comment, but I was thinking about the recent discussions about how much size we should reserve for vectors as they grow. It occurs that on a 64-bit system, and once a vector has got bigger than a single memory page, is there any good reason not to increase it's size by 4, or even 10 or 100 when we it grows beyond it's current bounds? There is no risk (at least for a long, long time) of filling the memory on a 64 bit system even if we overallocate every variable by a factor of 10,000, or even more.

Except for possible problems of inefficencies because objects are spread out across memory(and I don't know enough about this.. sorry), there really shouldn't be much reason to ever reallocate anything, as we could just give every vector 1GB of space to start with, and expand it to 32GB if it overflows that.

Any comments welcome :)

Chris