Re: [v3] default linux allocator

>If you think that all GNU/Linux users should have this new behavior,
>then it should be the default in the configury.  But, on the 3.4 branch,
>we should convince ourselves that (a) it's not an ABI change, and (b)
>it's a major win.

After reviewing performance testresults on x86, ppc, and x86_64, I think
it is a major win.

I don't see how this is an ABI change, linkage-wise: all the
instantiations for char and wchar_t instantiations remain, for all the
allocators. For other instantiations, there are no exports and thus
local implicit copies of required symbols are assumed.

I'll look at this in greater detail for gcc-3_4-branch when I get back
next week. If you have specific suggestions, please relay them to me.

>What's the purpose of this change?

Ensuring interoperability between linux vendors.

-benjamin