Doubt on the doubt! (Re: [RFC] Doubts about our istream::ignore)

Nathan Myers wrote:

Of course, now that streamsize is 64 bits, it would take longer than the remaining lifetime of the universe (or, perhaps, the remaining fossil fuels) to get there. (That assumes Moore's law will get used up, too.)

Nathan, streamsize is a typedef for ptrdiff_t!!!

Therefore, if I'm not mistaken, on 32-bit machine, its max() is "just" 2G!

It looks like we should really fix ignore, then...

Paolo.

P.S. For counting we are using everywhere streamsize, correctly, I think.