Re: [RFC] A QoI problem with filebuf and POD charT != char, wchar_t

Martin Sebor wrote:

I see... 27.8.1.1, p5.

Realistically, I don't think anyone relies on it. I doubt that even test suites exercise this requirement.

Interesting...

Too bad that because of that, a codecvt facet must *always* be present, even
when a reasonable behavior would be otherwise perfectly possible:

But what would it be useful for? If you don't narrow down the wide characters, how do you stream them out? As raw bytes? You'd wind up with non-portable binary junk in the file.

Yes :( , that is what my draft-sketch-patch basically did and would do anyway,
unfortunately. Your observation gives voice to something that was already present
somewhere in my mind (in the form of weird endianness-dependent reference files
for the testcases) and would have surfaced more cleanly very soon...

Thanks Martin!
Paolo