Re: Change to type std::streampos (was: Re: Compiling ACE with gcc-3.4 prerelease)

Kellogg, Oliver, ADBM64 wrote:

Douglas C. Schmidt [mailto:schmidt@cs.wustl.edu] wrote:

The problem compiling TAO using gcc-3.4-pre which I posted to
comp.soft-sys.ace seems to be an incompatible change to the
type std::streampos in the CVS head of the GNU libstdc++.
streampos is no longer a simple 'long', but it's been turned
into a class. That wouldn't be all too bad, but there is no
method for converting the streampos back to an integer type.
I suspect that libstdc++ needs correction.

Ok, so it sounds like the GNU folks have to fix this, not us, right?!

As far as I can see, yes...
Anyone from libstdc++ care to comment?

Yes: the above is currently completely false. We had some transitory problems
with streamoff not being an integer type, but otherwise, everything is fine.

Just care trying an up to date checkout / snapshot.