Re: The patch for PR libstdc++/14097.

Hi.

On Thursday, February 12, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> >Then, for reasons of symmetry, we should expose the FILE* when we wrap
> >the other layer.  Like this:
>
> I don't have a problem adding this kind of thing to the extension
filebufs.
> Either, both. Submit a patch, ChangeLog entry, the whole deal.

The original proposal to simply add a public MF was:

     FILE* c_file() { return this->_M_file; }

However, that does not seem to be enough in order to make it work inside a
shared libstdc++ on a GNU/Linux system.  Can anyone please provide me with
insight what to tweak in order to make this work?  Or, alternatively, just
commit the whole thing?

(Loren, Benjamin, I may be having a black hole sucking away email.  I
apologize if that should be the case.)

> I do have a problem with adding fd/FILE accessors to std::basic_filebuf,
but
> this isn't what you are asking (at this point in the thread.)

No.  But the basic argument is the same there: There ought to be a way to
access it in order for the whole abstraction to seamlessly be useful in a
Unix
environment.

For the time being, I can just continue kludging around with
reinterpret_cast
and other abominations.  Subclassing alone, as has been suggested in this
thread, is not enough since most of the relevant stuff is private.   :-(

This whole situation is not exactly satisfactory.

Regards
     -richy.
--
Dr. Richard B. Kreckel