Re: [v3] basic_string::reserve() shrink-to-fit?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:49:56PM +0100, Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>
> >Any comments on these additions to the docs?
> >
> >2003-12-12 Jonathan Wakely <redi@gcc.gnu.org>
> >
> >* docs/html/21_strings/howto.html: Document shrink-to-fit reserve().
> >* docs/html/faq/index.html: Reducing vector's capacity() to size().
> >* docs/html/documentation.html, docs/html/faq/index.txt: Regenerate.
>
> Looks good to me! Just wait a bit more in case Phil, Nathan, others want
> to add something...

Sure, I'll wait until tomorrow now (office xmas party and a manager's
birthday today - no more checkins for me!)

> While we are at it (docs...), I think an open task is that of splitting
> and overhauling "LWG Issues" from ext/howto.html: indeed, that paragraph
> is not really about "extensions" and is growing larger and larger.
>
> Have you got any ideas/proposals in this area?

Yes, even though I know the docs I still find it tricky to find some
things between ext/howto.html, ext/sgiexts.html and other files (for
instance, where does it tell you how to define a namespace alias for SGI
extensions? not in ext/*.html, it's in the FAQ, under Misc, question 5.4).
It would be nice to tidy them up, even if it's just a case of more links
between related sections.

I don't have any concrete suggestions I'm afraid, but I'm keeping it in
mind as I change any docs and will try to improve things soon. The
<link> tags I added were a first stab at this sort of review of the docs.

jon

--
"You can have my encryption algorithm, I thought to myself,
 when you pry my cold dead fingers from its private key."