From: Phil Edwards [mailto:phil@jaj.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 3:04 PM
To: Ramadass, Ramanathan
Cc: libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Relationship between libstdc++ and libsupc++

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:27:58PM -0800, Ramadass, Ramanathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few newbie questions.
>
> 1. For my project i am replacing libstdc++ with a 3rd party standard C++
> library. As i understand the language support routines in libstdc++ have
> been collected into libsupc++. Is this correct? Can i assume there is no
> compiler/language specific magic in libstdc++?

For the most part, this is correct.

> 2. For my tests i want to build gcc 3.3.2, libstdc++ and libsupc++(for
> --target=i386-elf). While i have built gcc, the instructions for building
> libstdc++ are somewhat confusing to me. The gcc tar ball contains a
> subdirectory named libstdc++. Am i to build this directory? The libstdc++
> installation page says i am to delete this and replace it with the
> separate libstdc++ tar ball that i can obtain from ftp.gnu.org (latest i
> can see libstdc++.2.90.8.tar.gz). However a README in that directory says
> one should use the libstdc++ that is packaged with gcc tar ball(from 3.0
> onwards). How do i proceed? Also do i need to configure gcc and libstdc++
> with their respective configure scripts separately(since libstdc++ is
> contained under gcc)?

Those instructions are for the old v2.  The source directory is named
libstdc++-v3.  The old directory was named libstdc++, and it should not
be included in 3.x releases.

The library in libstdc++-v3 will be built and configured along with gcc,
at the same time and using the same options.

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan