[RFC] Interpretation of DR 198 resolution

Hi everyone!

I'm reading this old DR and its resolution [WP]:
http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/lwg-defects.html#198

The rationale points out that "... it is /not/ an issue about the
behavior of predefined iterators" but still I'm quite a lot worried
by the change to paragraph 1 of 24.4.1.3.3 [lib.reverse.iter.op.star]
from the current:
Iterator tmp = current;
return *--tmp;

that we are /closely/ following in our implementation, to

   this->tmp = current;
   --this->tmp;
   return *this->tmp;

What does this really mean? Perhaps that we are entitled to have the
current implementation only provided we offer guarantees about the
validity of pointers and references after iterator destruction?

Anyone willing to shed some light on this?

Thanks,