This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the libstdc++ project.
Re: [libstdc++] Un-precious the CC-related variables
- From: Phil Edwards <phil at jaj dot com>
- To: "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi at caip dot rutgers dot edu>
- Cc: rsandifo at redhat dot com, aj at suse dot de, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:41:43 -0400
- Subject: Re: [libstdc++] Un-precious the CC-related variables
- References: <email@example.com> <200308131353.JAA05538@caip.rutgers.edu>
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:53:41AM -0400, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> Hmm, the patch went in, right? I still get an error on irix6.5 as of
> last night:
Patch is in.
> creating reloadable object files...
> creating a temporary reloadable object file: .libs/libg2c.la-2.o
Messages from libtool...
> /usr/bin/ld -n32 -64 -r -o .libs/libg2c.la-1.o libE77/.libs/Labort.o
> libE77/.libs/Lderf.o [...]
> ld64: ERROR 4 : Conflicting flag setting: -32-set-32bit-path
> ld64: ERROR 4 : Conflicting flag setting: -64
> -n32 may conflict with -o32
> ld64: FATAL 12 : Expecting n32 objects: libE77/.libs/Labort.o is n64.
> make: *** [libg2c.la] Error 4
> make: Leaving directory
> I use CC='cc -n32' for stage1 if that is relevant (I bet it is).
Perhaps 'cc -n32' results in LD being set to '/usr/bin/ld -n32'? That'd be
my initial not-really-thought-about-it guess.
> have to do that because the system compiler generates o32 by default.
Someday SGI must change that...
> Strangely, it only fails when I do a serial make. Parallel make -j2
> or higher seems to work. (?)
Absolutely no idea. That's freaky weird.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
- Brian W. Kernighan