Re: [autoconf-conversion] Re: Toplevel configury, multilibs, new autoconf versions

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 07:50:40PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 07:33:13PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > To be both safe and helpful, the configure script actually stores those
> > variables into the generated config.status file -- pay attention now --
> > as if they had been specified on the command line.  The shell variable
> > which stores command-line arguments is augmented with those "precious"
> > environment variables.
> >

> > So when a multilib run is fired off with configure generated by 2.57,
> > the created primary config.status source's config-ml.in, which then does
> > this just as before:
> >
> >     Multilib=`echo Primary | sed '.....'`
> >
> >     CXX=Multilib $srcdir/configure --stuff 'CXX=Primary'
> >
> > When configure examines the command line and sees variable assignments,
> > it performs them without examining the current environment.  It does this
> > for safety, because it thinks the user is rerunning configure.
> >
> > That sound you hear is configure wailing, "MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSS!" as it
> > overwrites Multilib with Primary.
> >

> > I've made a couple of half-hearted attempts to defeat this from within
> > libstdc++'s acinclude.m4, but autoconf is too smart for me.
>
> Can't you just modify what config.status thinks the command line was,
> at this point?  Either to correct Primary, or to append CXX=Multilib?
> Presumably from within config-ml.in.

Correcting Primary is tricky without the toplevel knowing more about
multilibs.  Appending CXX=Multilib would have to be done within config-ml.in,
and I believe would work, but would also break all 2.13-style configures,
which (IIRC) didn't understand env assignments as command-line arguments.

Phil