Re: Getting Apple's libstdc++ debug mode into the FSF tree

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 10:43AM, Matt Austern wrote:
I agree with you that -lstdc++-debug and -gc++lib are a little too cute. I like -debug, and I like -debug=c++ even better because it's more specific. But I'm also imagining the future of debug modes: someday we might want to have things like a debug mode for the C library, or a debug mode that catches array overflows in builtin arrays, and so on. Do we think we want one switch to control all of those things, or do we thing we should give users fine-grain control? If the latter, then we shouldn't choose an overly general name for a specific case. So maybe -debug=libc++, to make it absolutely explicit what this flag does?

--Matt

I don't like -debug=c++, because it says nothing about the library. -debug=c++lib is more precise, and not too much more typing.

The patch I'm testing now allows:

-debug=<checks>

where <checks> is a comma-separated list of individual checking types, consisting of:

c++lib libstdc++ debug mode
all everything we know how to check (silly for now; might not be so silly later)

Also, -debug is a synonym for "-debug=all".

We could also pull the concept-checking macro here, and add:

concepts Define _GLIBCXX_CONCEPT_CHECKS to do concept-checking in the library.

Then just using "-debug" will enable concept checking (since we're being strict about everything else in the library, why not?).

Doug