Re: namespace issues with old C headers

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> David Schultz <das at FreeBSD dot ORG> writes:
> | (B)	Ameliorate the problem by getting rid of promiscuous
> | 	includes of <cmath> in other headers.
>
> This is unlrealistic.

Most libc implementors have done this for some time, so I'm not
sure why it is problematic.  In C, it is actually required that
standard headers not pollute the namespace with symbols from other
headers, lest standard C programs fail to compile.  Perhaps C++
differs in this regard, but that doesn't explain why this idea is
``unrealistic.''

In any case, you have shot down all of my proposed solutions,
including the one that involves changing things in FreeBSD-land.
Since you too seem to think that this problem should be fixed, do
you have any better ideas as to how it should be addressed?