Re: wstring in gcc3.2.x on solaris

Hi,

Thank you all for the suggestions. Finally I'm able to build gcc3.2 with wchar support on Solaris8 by editing acinclude.m4 under .../gcc-3.2/libstdc++-v3 and several other header files. Also I'm able to link with static libstdc++ successfully for all my shared libraries. After I build the new gcc-3.2 with the changes I made, I need to re-build it again using this new compiler as the bootstrapping compiler.

Christina

From: "Anthony Feick" <afeick at hotmail dot com>
To: bkoz at redhat dot com, cxwang_wt at hotmail dot com
CC: libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org, apm35 at student dot open dot ac dot uk
Subject: Re: wstring in gcc3.2.x on solaris
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:57:29 -0600

From: Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz at redhat dot com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:15:17 -0600

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:34:50 +0000
"Christina Wang" <cxwang_wt at hotmail dot com> wrote:

>I posted the following question to gcc-help but nobody replied. Does
>anybody on this mailing list have the answer? Thank you!

This is something that I would very much like to fix. I don't have
access to a Solaris box, so somebody else will have to step up and do
the work.

I might be able to get you access to an Ultrasparc, but I don't think I have the time to help. (My second child was born on Friday.)

FYI the cc'd recently asked the same question, in private email.
(Please don't do this.)

I'm not subscribed to the list, so I didn't think about it.

Perhaps they have some answers?

It looks like Lev Assinovsky may have already answered some of this.

First I had to use binutils 2.12.1 (2.13 was badly broken). Then, the version of bison on my system was bad, so I used bison-1.35. I also installed a bunch of other packages, but I think those were the only necessary ones. Finally I had to edit a couple libstdc++ files:

gcc-3.2/libstdc++-v3/include/c_std/std_cwctype.h
comment out 'iswblank' lines 58 and 86

gcc-3.2/libstdc++-v3/include/c_std/std_cwchar.h
comment out 'vfwscanf' lines 95 and 157
comment out 'vswscanf' lines 97 and 159
comment out 'vwscanf' lines 99 and 161
comment out 'wcstof' lines 118 and 176

As far as static linking, I'm not sure I can help you. On Solaris, I have had zero luck statically linking libraries, or linking executables to static libraries. The only possible way was to link the object files. Even if you get gcc to find all of the functions in it's own libraries, it complains about the Solaris system libraries.

My biggest problem was getting 2-byte wchars. We ended up using our own type for that.

Good luck! -Tony