Re: [Patch] Fix libstdc++/7744

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 02:51:10AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Nathan Myers <ncm-nospam at cantrip dot org> writes:
> | > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2003-03/msg00031.html
> | >
> | > In particular:

> | It really depends on whether these names come in with a standard header
> | file.  If they do, then all the names have to be uglified.  My previous
> | posting assumed that these classes were only visible if users explicitly
> | included the file they appear in, but now it appears that they come in
> | with <iostream>.
>
> Given that <iostream> can include any other standard header, any
> reserved name used by __basic_file<char> does not need to be uglified.

Please, let's not confuse matters any further.  Of course standard names
don't have to be uglified.  At issue are two other concerns:

1. Overloading non-standard functions with standard names.  This creates
  unnecessary confusion, both in maintainers and users.  If you give
  the functions their own unique names, then you have...

2. Non-standard names brought in with standard headers, such (apparently)
  as the block() and no_block() members.  Those have to be uglified.

Names that are brought in _only_ if you include a non-standard header
don't usually need to be uglified, unless they are in a header that has
a quasi-standard status, such as <hash_map>, that are likely to become
standard soon.