Re: [Patch]: Corrected patch for stl_tree.h to improve performance andmemory usage

In article <3E667887 dot 6050302 at computer dot org> Gawain Bolton writes:

> Ok, here I go again.  Please find attached a patch for stl_tree.h to
> improve performance and memory usage.   This patch differs from the
> previous one (http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2003-02/msg00398.html) in
> that all compile errors have (hopefully) been fixed  [...]
> Once again, all and any feedback appreciated.

Gawain,

Again, sweet work.  I think you have nailed all of the performance
issues raised.  If you ever answered the first time I asked in regards
to your std::list improvements back around Feb 12, I'm sorry I missed
it.  I have the same two issues (which now apply to both the list and
tree improvements).

First, do you[/Nortel --- where you posted from last month] have an
assignment for GCC on file with the FSF?  Based on the informal
10-line rule, your work appears to be beyond a simple bug/performance
fix.  Opinions on this point by other library maintainers?

Next, since this change hits a file included in application code and
the libray ABI, we would need to consider when to apply it.  If we
strongly believe that the new implementation satisfies the standard in
every way (and I believe that you have studied and reported on the
issues well enough to satisfy me) and only has rare cases where
performance could ever worsen in practice (I'm sold), then I'd vote
before the 3.3 release.

Regards,
Loren