Re: AIX libstdc++ multilib broken

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:02:12 -0500
David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> wrote:

>	I am not sure when this occurred, but libstdc++ no longer
>multilibs when building on AIX.  libiberty, libf2c, and libobjc all
>produce multilib versions of the libraries, but libstdc++ only produces
>the default library and never adds the multilib variants.

It's probably this part of yesterday's config/make work:

AC_OUTPUT(Makefile \
    include/Makefile src/Makefile \
    libmath/Makefile libio/Makefile libsupc++/Makefile \
    po/Makefile testsuite/Makefile mkcheck testsuite_flags,
+[ if ! test -f stamp-h; then
   test -z "$CONFIG_HEADERS" || echo timestamp > stamp-h
    if test -n "$CONFIG_FILES"; then
     if test -n "${with_build_subdir}" || test -n "${with_target_subdir}"; then
      LD="${ORIGINAL_LD_FOR_MULTILIBS}"
      ac_file=Makefile . ${glibcpp_basedir}/../config-ml.in
      grep '^MULTISUBDIR =' Makefile >> src/Makefile
      grep '^MULTISUBDIR =' Makefile >> libsupc++/Makefile
     fi
    fi
+   fi

The problem is that without this, every time the libstdc++-v3
subdirectory is re-configured, a new "multi-do" rule is added to the
top-level Makefile, regardless of the presence of previous multi-do
rules. This leads to noise in make, where you get all of these
"ignoring extra command for multi-do" when you try to build in the
reconfigured directory.

This can easily be tested by configure, making, and then in the top
level build directory of libstdc++-v3, do

./config.status --recheck; ./config.status

(or just ./config.status)

The last time I tried to fix this, I also broke AIX. Sorry about this:
perhaps you or others could come up with a better way to fix up the
multi-do issue, without breaking AIX?

-benjamin