Re: libverbose_terminate, pass 1 of N

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 12:03:22AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2002, Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:45:27PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:
> >> Here's a patch for discussion purposes.  It installs a libverbose_terminate,
> >> and I've verified by hand that using -lverbose_terminate or LD_PRELOAD
> >> both DTRT.
>
> > Annoyingly, linking with the .a form of the library does not have any effect.
>
> Perhaps it should be installed as an object file, rather than as a
> static library,

Good idea.  Of /course/ a .a won't work by itself: in the static linking
case, nothing references the object, so the linker ignores it.  (There was
a recent PR complaining about this exact behavior, and the conclusion
was that while weird for C++, this is normal behavior for the linker.
(Which it is, and I can't believe I forgot about it.))

Or, we could just document that when using "-static -lver..." the user must
prefix all that with "-u __dummy_preload_verbterm" or whatever I called it.

> and there should be a flag other than -l<something> to
> get it linked in.

Well, okay, but I was hoping to use a general technique for this, somehow.
(I'm hoping that more special-purpose mini-libraries will grow out of
this idea.)

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002