Re: Irix6 long doubles implemented wrong? (27_io/ostream_inserter_arith)

Alexandre Oliva writes:

> I've been working on a patch that will enable us to switch to 128-bit
> long doubles on mips n32 and n64, but I still need a little bit of
> polishing and checking (I know that my current patch still doesn't
> pass long double arguments in the right registers).  I expect to have
> it finished in the next few days.

Great.

> That said, I'm not sure it would be wise to break the gcc ABI on IRIX
> 6 by introducing this change.  It's not like long double is the most
> widely used type, but still, I'm a bit concerned about changing it.
> Opinions?

On the contrary: we shouldn't introduce a GCC ABI (which is especially
useless since it doesn't interoperate with libc as is the case with 64-bit
long double), but try to implement the vendor ABI correctly.  I think the
same is true for the major other ABI non-conformance on IRIX, namely
passing of small structures (where Jim Wilson is working on a fix, as I
understand).  This has caused so many people trouble and required
platform-specific work-arounds in so many packages that we should get this
right once and for all, even if this means non-interoperability with the
older (broken) GCC implementation.

	Rainer