Re: merging for 3.4 (was Re: [Patch] Qualify min(), max() ...)

Diego> I see two possible scenarios regarding optimization:

Diego> (a) We merge the infrastructure with the optimizers disabled and
Diego> keep working on them in mainline.  This has the advantage of
Diego> exposing the code for more testing, but it might disrupt
Diego> development.

Diego> (b) We don't merge anything for 3.4, keep working on the branch
Diego> and merge everything for 3.5 or whenever we close the
Diego> performance gap.

Diego> Sometimes I'm more inclined towards (b), it seems safer.

	I would prefer (a) because that allows Tree-SSA to be a GCC
technology preview in the GCC 3.4 release to which improvements can be
merged in during later Stages of GCC 3.4 development.  We might have
enough Tree-SSA optimizations enabled by the end of Stage2/Stage3 for
Tree-SSA to be effective and useful, but it will not be abled by default
so it is safe.

David