Re: Make generic atomicity.h use gthr.h mutexes

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 06:12:04PM +0000, Nathan Myers wrote:
> It's possible to run threads safely in a system with a non-thread-safe
> string implementation.  It might even be the common case on such
> systems.  Embedded system developers are used to working with
> documented limitations.  What they need is a warning, and where
> possible, a choice.

Post a patch.  I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest.

> > elsewhere.  Turns out they're used at least in ios_base, handling callbacks.
> > (Talk about a rarely-used feature...)
>
> ios_base callbacks are essential for nontrivial operators << and >>.
> Such usage is properly buried in implementation code, so it's no
> surprise that we don't notice it much.

I really like the idea of ios_base callbacks, I just think the specification
is a bit lacking.  It's hard coming up with a good example, too, for the
documentation.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002