Re: web page status

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 11:13:19AM -0500, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> it's pretty easy to verify. Any thoughts on this? I would think that all the
> libstdc++ pages should validate.

They would validate as old normal HTML, before the rules changed in XHTML.
Right now the webserver is prepending (by design) a DOCTYPE string saying
that we're XHTML.

I'm not particularly good at XHTML.  (In fact, I downright hate some of
the new rules.)  But I think I can fix some of the errors, with help from
validator.w3.org.

Jonathan Wakely posted a patch to add the DOCTYPE headers to the files,
so that they can be viewed offline.  I never checked in the patch due to
the skydiving accident.  My only question is what will the web server's
preprocessor do when it sees a DOCTYPE already there?  I'll try to
investigate that, but don't hold your breath.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002