Re: please stop messing with the indentation

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:29:25AM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Two spaces back over 78 isn't going to make lines unreadable; but they
> make the rules harder requiring indent today, unindent tomorrow game
> playing.  How many files will be shorter with the added complexity?

For me it's not so much 2 out of 78, but rather the tools and editors not
understanding the start of scopes.

> | (Or split up the files, whichever
> | makes more sense in that case.)
>
> Oh no, please anything but not his.

It'd be no more than what we do already.  Some headers do nothing but
include bits.  If we say that a file in bits may only contain a single
namespace, this problem is alleviated.  (The new problem becomes one of
merging the bits.  I have worked on a project that used this rule, and
it wasn't difficult.  But libstdc++ uses multiple namespaces more often,
so I won't suggest this rule for us.)

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002