Re: [BUG] valarray_copy, with mask_array, libstdc++-v3

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 11:21:39AM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > This behaviour is undefined.
>
>  please try not to talk such rubbish, and actually follow the plot.
>
>  i'll try to spell it out for you.
[...]
> if you can't be bothered to track this properly, instead trying
> to fob me off with stupid quotes of "it's undefined behaviour",
> and quotes from the c++ standards, you don't deserve to be
> working for and be paid by redhat, _that's_ for sure.
>
> cc'd to some mailing lists to hopefully get some sensible
> answers.

Okay, here's a reasonable answer from a mailing list:  you're still wrong.

The C++ standard defines what is and is not C++.  "Undefined" isn't just a
programmer trying to dodge an uncomfortable question or get out of doing
more work.  It has a very strict meaning.  (If you'd like to get a copy
of the standard, you can read the definition for yourself.  It's in 1.3.)

In particular, "undefined" means that 1) we can do whatever we want, and 2)
your programs had better not depend on a particular behavior, else they'll
break.

Your opinion does not change the standard.  Being insulting does not
change the standard.  Two /extremely qualified experts/ have given you
correct answers, and you've behaved like a jerk towards them in public.

I suggest you get a clue about a few things before trying to continue the
discussion:  1) what it means for a language standard to say, "anything
can happen here and it's your own fault," 2) that GCC is a /volunteer/
organization (specifically, we don't owe you a damn thing, we're donating
our time), and 3) how to behave like an adult when you don't get the answer
you wanted to hear.

Phil