Re: What are being done about the dependecy_libs - problem?

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 02:24:29AM +0200, Ulrik Mikaelsson wrote:
> Using 3.1 when trying to build libstdc++, I encountered a strange error,
> described here:

[ libtool remembering build paths ]

> I've seen some solutions reported that it should work to just manually edit
> the file libstdc++.la afterwards but I think this seems like a quite bad
> solution,

It is, however, the only current solution, until libtool is fixed.

What's more, it can be automated, using sed.

> and I've found the same references in the actual libstdc++.so
> anyways,

Oh?  That would be a different bug.  Could you go into more detail?

> What can be done to create a more general solution to this problem?

Fix libtool.

libstdc++ is not responsible for the .la file; we are using a tool that
is managed by a separate project:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html

The bug is that there is no easy and correct way to take -L/path and -R/path
and decide whether "/path" is a directory that should be remembered for
later use, or whether it's pointing into a temporary directory.  If you
have suggestions for a fix or a workaround, please contact the libtool
mailing list.  :-)

The problem is not unique to libstdc++, either.  Any shared library built
using libtool and using transient -L/-R paths will find them in the .la file.

Phil