Re: std::string exorcism hiccup

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 12:55:14PM +1200, Tony Bryant wrote:
> > The ugly part I think is that the different mangling would not actually
> > apply to std::allocator, but rather to a type buried way down in the
> > instantiation chain.  Everything would still work -- the changed default
> > pool allocator would be implicitly instantiated in the user's own object
> > files -- but it would have to be well-documented.
> >
> > Opinions, anyone?  (go go gadget asbestos underwear!)
>
> The ripple effect of such a scheme boogles the mind,

Boggling the mind is, I've decided, my purpose in life.

We already have such ripple effects in place now; __USE_MALLOC comes to mind.
Both that scheme and my pipe dream ripple all through the memory allocation
areas of code, but don't actually alter anything else.  The /behavior/
is changed on the global scale, but the majority of the libstdc++.a code
is bitwise identical.

(I'm going to go out on a limb and mention that those sorts of design
hooks appeal to me.  I want to change /one/ parameter in /one/ place,
not many parameters in many places.)

> e.g. you'd need to end up with a different std::string mangling to
> differentiate from the libstdc++.a std::string from the user's std::string,
> (since the will be effecitively different types).

I don't think I agree, but until I have time to actually work up an example
of code, I won't claim it can be easily done.  (We get too many of those
claims without code already, I don't want to add to it.)  Give me a few days.

Phil