Re: -ffunction-sections

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 12:57:18AM +1200, Tony Bryant wrote:
> For those that care to try their luck using -ffunction-sections when building
> a cross compiled libstdc++ - you'll have to manually enable it - using
> --enable-cxx-flags=-ffunction-sections.
>
> The call in configure to GLIBCPP_CHECK_COMPILER_FEATURES has been commented
> out. How inconvenient...

Those are (I think) just a commented list of "things you might add when
doing a port of your own".  I could be wrong.

Maybe try --enable-cxx-flags='-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections' too.

> This whole cross compiler configuring section seems awfully messy and
> arbitrary. There has to be A Better Way (TM).

Definitely.  I'm working on this as my schedule and wrists allow.

> Also, Is it possible to set --enable-cxx-flags in libstdc++ from the toplevel
> gcc configure script?

Absolutely.  All the --enable/--disable/--with/--without configure flags
are passed to all the sub-configures for exactly this reason; any flags
not understood by a particular configure script are ignored.

Phil