Re: Program abort and dlopen()

At 05:56 PM 06/03/02 -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:

Hi Phil,

>On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:15:34AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
>> My primary question is: does libstdc++ call dlopen() during an exception,
>> or does it call any functions that might cause dlopen() to be called?
>
>No and no.  libstdc++ is self-contained.  (Well, it depends on libc.)

>> My secondary question is: how do I debug this problem?
>
>Search the mail archives for RTLD_NOW and RTLD_LAZY.  There are some loader
>flags that will cause some C++ features to simply not work in a sane manner.

Hum, I did search the archives and didn't see anything.  Did you mean the
libstdc++ archive?  Four hits for RTLD_LAZY and none for RTLD_NOW.  Sorry
if I missed what you meant.

You say libstdc++ is self-contained.  Ok, I guess I was wondering if
anything that happens when processing an exception might cause a dlopen
(perhaps in another library used by libstdc++).

I'm not sure if this is a libstdc++ question or gcc question, but can you
think of anything that happens after an exception's constructor is run and
its catch block that might trigger an abort that I should look for?  And
something that might be related to dlopen?

Like I said, single-stepping with gdb from the exception constructor to the
abort doesn't really show me much.  Do I need to install a new gcc "core"
and the "C++ distribution and updates to C++ distribution"?

I sure do wish I understood this stuff better.  It's eating much of my free
time.

Thanks very much,

--
Bill Moseley