Re: [RFC] libstdc++/6720 and libstdc++/6671

Jonathan Wakely <cow@compsoc.man.ac.uk> writes:

| > 1.  Good software does not second-guess the user.  If the user has
| > specified -I. or -I/usr/include/g++-3/ext or whatever, they bloody
| > well meant it, for good or ill.  You can think of -I. as invoking a
| > non-conforming mode of the compiler if it makes you feel better.
|
| I agree with this. If you put system header dirs in your include path
| with -I/usr/include/g++-v3/ext (or whatever) that's your lookout, you

I think you're missing the point.

Just give it one more thought:  We (implemtors or users) do not always
control the files or directory that happens to be in the include path
 -- and the -I{prefix}/g++-v3/ext is just a symptom of a latent bug we
failed to handle correctly.
If the user does want to replace a standard header, then he/she should
be given a chance to say so explicitly.  We shouldn't be intrepreting an
accidental coincidence as expected whishes.  In the same was, the
standard tries hard to insulate its entities in dedicated namespace so
that they don't accidentaly conflict with user defined ones.

-- Gaby