std::vector's freestore management

Dear C++ users,

The space overhead introduced in std::vector prevents the reallocation
from occuring too frequently. This in turn should make the programs
run faster, since less operations have to be performed.
Unfortunately, in special situations, e.g. when vectors consuming huge
amounts of memory are used, this space overhead may make the program
to run very slowly in swapping environments. Or even such a program
may fail with the out of memory error. The reason behind is that
the std::vector's space overhead is considerable in many vendors
implementations (roughly speaking twice the storage may be allocated
than it is required). Moreover, the standard provides the users
with no handy means to alter the behaviour defined
in the vendors' implementations.
A possible way how to circumvent this difficulty without compromising
the existing standards and the existing code is to enhance std::vector
by introducing special objects that will provide std::vector instances
with hints on what to do when the size is about to get changed.
These 'capacity hint' objects may be supplied by users when a special
behaviour is needed. If not supplied, std::vector will fall back
to the default behaviour.

Those interested in technical details are kindly ask to consult
the appendix.

Well, I'm afraid, that I'm about to create a patch against my favourite
vendor's, that is GNU's, std C++ library implementation. This will give
me more comfort when using std::vector in my projects.
I'm aware that it's generally not a good idea, but I failed to find
anything better. Since, it seems that I may easily fall in spending serious
effort, without obtaining relevant benefit, I would be much oblidged
for your critique, comments and advices.

Thank you for your help.

With best regards,

Daniel Kostecky

APPENDIX:

Title: std::vector's freestore management