Re: [RFC] PR6015, snprintf, glibc2.3 and all that...

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 01:17, Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Naively, what I'm still finding strange is that there is no way of
> having from a libc (glibc, in particular) a "C"-locale-only printf, not
> sensitive, I mean, to the locale in force. Is just a subset of the whole
> functionality and it would be /so/ useful in order to cleanly implement
> MT-safe C++ output operations, according to the letter of the standard.
> Is there a general "philosophical" point about this which you can
> possibly explain to me?

I don't know what you mean.  We will have the uselocale() stuff in glibc
2.3.  Until then the locale model is basically broken by design wrt
threads and since the locale data must be used by all the variouses
interfaces of the libc it also means that those interfaces are also
broken wrt threads.  Everybody who has to do with locales knows this.
It's just that nobody took the initiative to fix this.  The uselocale()
stuff has a good chance of getting wider acceptance.