Re: How to get wchar_t support under Cygwin?

> Thinking that improvements since 2.95 may have solved the problem, I
> obtained the latest GCC release (3.0.4, full package), and built it
> successfully, though the build process produced a message indicating
> that wctype.h is missing, and wchar_t support is disabled. I have
> searched from the Cygwin root directory (which encompasses GCC) for any
> file containing the text 'wctype', and have found one instance of
> wctype.h, and several other related files in various subdirectories.

I don't think cygwin comes with support for wchar_t operations. The
underlying library, newlib, doesn't seem to have this support.

You should probably ask about this on the cygwin lists.

> I'm not sure why this was no problem at all on Solaris or Linux, but is
> causing so much trouble on Cygwin. I've looked through the archives for
> discussions of this topic, and unless I've missed something, all of the
> related patches, etc. seem to be in place in my installation.

Solaris and Linux support wchar_t. They have the requisite headers and
functions necessary to do this properly, etc.

That being said,

#include <cwctype>

should probably compile, with or without wchar_t support. See
what's done with <cwchar>, where

#if _GLIBCPP_HAVE_WCHAR_H
#pragma GCC system_header
#include <wchar.h>
#endif

is done. Actually, this is clearly a bug. I'll fix this up.

-benjamin