Re: Strange behaviour of "cin"

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 10:58:40PM +0530, Arun Saini , Gurgaon wrote:
> I have provided the trace that is withing the istream.tcc file of libstdc++
> and not of my code.

We realize that.  That's not the issue.

When you step through a compiled program in a debugger, the debugger doesn't
"know" what line is being executed.  It simply prints the line corresponding
to a line number stored in the program.

There have been problems with correct line numbers being emitted in C++
programs.  For example, line X is being compiled, but "line #Y" is stored
in the .o file.  Later, when you try to step through the code, the debugger
sees "line #Y" and displays line Y.  Since you're expecting to see line X,
confusion results.

This /might/ be the problem, but...

> I cannot post the code for legal reasons.

...then we probably cannot help you.  If you can reproduce the problem
with code you /can/ post, then the rest of us will have something to
experiment with.

Phil